On Sunday it was my 24th birthday. A part of me says, Holy Crap! You are definitely in your mid-twenties now, no more early twenties. Another part of me says, meh, another day. After all, except for the beautiful day, delicious Chocolate Almond cake (a la Julia Child’s cookbook), and “Birthday Wishes” from friends and family , it was a day like most others.
But in honour of 24 years on this place called earth, here are some reflections on this past year.
I’ve done a lot this year…
Been an Residence Advisor at UBC.
Had a sports injury.
Been to Africa.
Started my internship.
Moved back home with my parents
I feel like I’ve experienced a lot of growing pains this past year. When I look back I can’t say this has been “the best year of my life” but neither has it been my worst. I’ve mostly just learned a lot, about myself, about what I believe, and what my boundaries are.
I wanted to write this post mainly so I can look back in a year and remember what I was thinking about. I can say I’m honestly more excited for the future than I have been in a long time. I’m scared too; this time next year I won’t be a student at all, but will nearly be (hopefully) a Registered Dietitian here in Canada.
(I just tried looking back at my previous posts and apparently I didn’t write anything last year on or near my birthday)
Where am I going with this post? (^^^ haha, this was an accident actually) I don’t really know, I just felt like 24 years deserved a reflection.
Sorry for the wordy post! I promise I’ll be back soon with food! 😉
I can’t believe this year is coming to an end! It’s crazy.
I usually take some time to just reflect on what I’ve done this year (ok, this isn’t just regulated to the end of a year for me, but this time of year it’s just more prominent in my thoughts.).
This year has been crazy for me. And if you add in fall 2008 (sometimes I think in terms of “school years”) it’s been super crazy. But let’s just stick with 2009…
What have I done in 2009?
- I was a floor rep for my Council, and then ran and won (due to lack of opposition) for president.
- Went to Arizona for a leadership conference as a result (seriously, so cool…).
- Applied to dietetics, and was rejected (sadly) but they fortunately give second chances.
- Challenged myself and went tree planting for a second time. Learned my limits, physically and mentally weren’t as good as they were my first year planting.
- Started my presidency at my residence in UBC. This has already taught me so much.
- Got sick at least three times this year. Not necissarily something I’ve “done” but relevant to health and balance I think. I even had food poisoning for the first (and last hopefully) time.
- Tried out for a musical. Oh man, was this crazy/fun/insane. It was just a little too far out of my comfort zone. The main problem was people just interested in a, say, chorus roll, had to try out with the people interested in leading rolls. Nerve racking.
There’s been more too, in terms of emotional and social journeys that might be hard to understand for a lot of people. I used to be a shy quiet girl who would watch life from the sidelines, and 2009 has definitely been a year of stopping the wallflower behaviour and really participating in life.
What did I learn as a result?
- I’m so much stronger than I give myself credit for. This is in terms of emotions, and as a leader. I never knew I could make choices and boss people around the way I do.
- If I put my mind to it, I can pretty much do anything. I won’t be the best, but at least I tried right?
- In the same vein, I’m beginning to learn my boundaries, the line I draw between being too comfortable, and going too far into the wilds of world. If that makes sense. I used to stick so close to comfort zones, now I’m exploring how far I can go.
Man this year has been crazy! For me anyway, add in all the little things you never think about every day, and really it’s been quite the year.
I’ll see you all in 2010, with some of my goals/resolutions for 2010!
Happy New Years!