I wasn’t sure how to title this post: The One In Which I Failed Epically or perhaps How to Not Be vegan, or perhaps How to fail in more than one way at once.
See I’m sitting here, sort of watching Because I said So and eating chocolate. Sugar (goes against this challenge I set for myself for February) and most definitely not vegan, which goes against the challenge this week.
So what went wrong? There are a few reasons I can point to why being vegan this week wasn’t incredibly successful for me.
- No plan: usually my life doesn’t require a meal plan. Mainly because vegetarian food is readily available and I’ve been eating it for so many years it’s just what I do. However, I think for veganism, I should have had more of a plan.
- Life: where I’m at now, the life I’m living didn’t fit the vegan lifestyle this week. Most of my friends aren’t into food in the same way (into experimenting or trying healthy food). This is when having an action plan would have helped.
- No Passion for the cause: being vegan is something I think you really have to care about to stick with it. And to be honest, my heart just wasn’t in it. I wanted it to be, I wanted to care, and in fact a lot of what vegans care about is stuff I care about. And I can see myself one day being pretty much vegan since so many meals I already eat are vegan.
What have I learned?
- Lots of foods I don’t give a second thought to eating aren’t vegan (margarine? I just assumed it was made from vegetable oils…)
- Without a game plan, if you aren’t surrounded by people living a healthy vegan lifestyle, it can be tough to be “strong” and stick to it.
- When it comes to something like a vegan diet, or any significant change in diet, it takes energy and thought; you can’t just eat what you’re craving.
I know a lot of the other 7 Day Vegan Challengers have been doing awesome on the challenge and congrats to all of you! I’ll definitely participate in the twitter chat tomorrow (as long as I remember the right time!) but I think I’m unfortunately done with the challenge itself.
What has been the biggest obstacle for all of you this week? What have you learned from the challenge?
PS While yes, I had some chocolate today, I still think my “Sugar and Coffee Free February” is going really well because my overall consumption of both has gone down significantly. I’ve been drinking 1-2 cups of black or green tea, and I have been feeling fine. I’d like to try a day or two of caffeine free days this week, and see if I get any withdrawal symptoms.