My marathon study session continues. Well sort of.
See I’m a horrible student. I can’t do the marathons study sessions, never been good at, hope to never be good at it. I can’t sacrifice my health (physical or mental) for the sake of an A in a class. I get decent grades, I do the work, but hey I like balance.
How Do I keep myself sane during exam periods?
These are some of my favorite random tips I’ve accumulated over the years:
- Take Breaks: I usually take a break every hour or so. Sometimes it’s 5min. Usually it’s about 20min. And sometimes it’s an hour. What can I say? Sometimes I really need a break.
- Exercise. Usually at least one of those breaks is exercising. The past few days it’s been really simple for me; running errands. Going over to the free gym in residence for a treadmill workout, and doing a little yoga. I actually started my day today with exercise.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff. Sometimes you have to let some other things slide. Don’t feel like doing the dishes? Room a mess? Didn’t quite hit your study quota? Bet you got a lot done anyway! Unless it’s really distracting you, oh well! you’ve got bigger fish to fry.
- Don’t guilt trip. Ok this one is personal, as has been mentioned before I’m a total stress eater. I’m actually not doing too bad right now. Sure I’ve had some ice cream and a cookie or two, but on the whole? I’m not stressing about it. Other things to worry about.
- Have a plan. I like a plan. I usually make a list of what I’d like to get done; everything from just start time, to exercise, to breaks and what I’m going to study. But I don’t guilt myself if I don’t follow it strictly. Just sort of gives me structure when there really isn’t a lot of structure in my day….
- Just do it. Sometimes you have no idea how to go about studying for something, and you let the worry get to you. Honestly, sometimes you just have to dive in, and hope the path opens up to you.
Those are the main ways I keep sane anyway. I do think I take too long of breaks, and I probably could have really good grades.
I mean just look at what I’m doing right now? A little procrastination? Maybe…
Alright, I’m back to studying! This has been one super long break.