hmmm, a couple treats for you guys today! A review and a recipe! Ohhhhh I know!
So first up is a product review. Back when I was beyond busy and couldn’t do anything but pretty much cry because, well, I was that busy, the lovely folks at Dempster’s sent me some of their new products to review…
Oven Fresh Baguettes
- Come in packs of 2 loaves. Either multigrain or white. They’re partially baked when you buy them from the super market, and then you bake them for 8min (or 12 if they’re frozen) for a feeling of a fresh baked baguette with your meal.
I do enjoy them, and they freeze well, so for those of us who want something a little fresh but don’t have the time for bread, or aren’t patient when we have that fresh-bread craving, these work really well!
Of course I wanted to do something fun with at least one loaf before I reviewed them, but couldn’t think of anything. Then my teammates suggested a get together before our race on Sunday and while I was thinking of what to bring, this popped into my head:
Apple, Spinach and Cinnamon Crouton Salad
- 3-4c spinach
- 1/4c raisins
- 1/4c chopped up almonds (could toast these if you want, I didn’t and it was good)
- 2-3 apples
In a seperate microwaveable I mixed:
- 1.5tbsp margarine, melted
- 1tsp (or so) cinnamon
- 1/4tsp nutmeg, or other spices that go with cinnamon
- 1tbsp (or just under) sugar
When the bread was out of the oven and had cooled for a while I chopped it up into croutons:
I then dumped these into the bowl with the cinnamon/margarine mixture and tossed and stirred until they were coated. Popped them back in the over (in an oven friendly tray of course!) for 3-5min… And then onto the salad and voila! A delicious salad for any meal.
This served 4 people as a side dish.
It’s a very “flexible” salad, and number of toppings would do; but everyone loved the croutons. They were sort of like mini cinnamon bun bits on a salad. Yum!