Ok not really. In fact I don’t think you’d have a lot of fun (or friends) as an onion). Then again, maybe that’s what you’d prefer, sort of like Shrek and his “onions have layers” speech.
But I’m getting off track. There really is only one thing that’s both French and an Onion, and it’s:
French Onion Soup
Strictly speaking, traditional French Onion soup is definitely NOT vegetarian. And because I’ve been vegetarian since a time when I would have wrinkled my nose at French Onion soup, I have no idea if this is even close to being authentic. But here is a yummy soup I’ve been enjoying all week.
5 small onions
3 cloves garlic
4 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
1/4 c soy sauce (I used low sodium)
2 tbsp margarine (I probably used almost three)
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp molasses
Bread & cheese (I totally splurged and used gruyere.).
1. Slice the onions so you get nice thin strands. As you do this melt the margarine in a large pot. Put the onions in the pot. This is the key step. You want to use low-medium to medium heat, and you want to cook the onions down. this takes about 20 mins. Be patient, it’s so worth it for those lovely carmalized onions. Mine went from this:
2. Once your onions are all tiny and deliciously shrunk, add in the remaining ingredients. I added in everything but the broth mixed, then added in the broth.
3. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 10min. Preheat the oven for broiling.
4. Place a bowl in a pan, scoop in some soup, top with bread and shredded cheese. (note: I used a full piece of bread that made eating it difficult. I would definitely chop up the bread next time)
5. Place under the broiler for 2min, or until cheese is bubblin’.
Hmmm. It is so delicious. though if you really know what French Onion soup tastes like, my apologies if this is as far from it as it gets, it can be hard as vegetarians to get that meaty taste, if you know what I mean, I think it’s almost what is being called “umami”.
Even though it’s exam time and I should be studying (uh, this post might be procrastination numero 5 today) I actually have quite a few posts planned for the next few weeks. What can I say? I’m in such a blogging mood it isn’t even funny.